Sunday, July 8, 2012

Saved

When you think of something as “saved”, what do you think of? On a computer, documents and programs are saved to the computer. They are stored in files. When someone saves the files, they are saving them TO a specific file or folder. No one thinks of saving something FROM the trash. The same works for food (unless you're on an airplane and have slept through the food distribution. In that case, the stewardess may or may not attempt to throw away your food as though it were trash). This is how being “saved” should be thought of in the spiritual sense. We shouldn't think of being saved means to avoid going to Hell. It should be thought of as being able to spend eternity with the Lord who created the heavens and the earth. How many people go to Church because they are afraid of Hell? How many actions and activities do people partake in because they are afraid of punishment? Do you get  car  i nsurance so as to avoid getting ticketed for not having insurance? Or do you get car insurance to pay for damages in the event of a crash? This isn't meant to be accusatory, but I have to wonder about people. The joy that would come with being with the Father is all I need to hear. I need not be afraid of what would come. For I have confessed with my mouth that Jesus is Lord. I am not doing this for “fire insurance” or any sort of “feel-good” sensation that many people seek out. Some Churches have that “cheer-leader” look and feel to them. That's not to say they have gone against Jesus; more along the lines of losing some of the “meat” of the Gospel. We are told on many occasions by Jesus (and later Paul) that there will be troubles. There will be difficulties. That we may be persecuted, ridiculed and arrested for preaching the word. We shouldn't fear preaching the Truth if we believe we are saved. Now, when I say that I believe what I believe not through wanting the aforementioned “fire insurance", I mean to say that I truly believe and attempt to convert that belief into action. I do not sit through services, soak up what is preached, then go home to feel good and forget. I implement what I learn into my life. I bring up parts of the Gospel in everyday conversations. I take what I learn to shape how I make decisions throughout the day and week. Sometimes when I find something in the Bible that challenges what I have already established as a habit, I take to changing that habit. Other times, when said habit is a little bit more entrenched, I take to prayer and fasting to do what I believe God is asking of me. Admittedly, sometimes this is harder than other times. Taking this a step further; I would combine the two greatest commandments that Jesus gave us and the Great Commission to spread the Word. That is to say, I believe I am to spread the Word, to be all things to all people (easier said than done), and to speak the Truth in Love. This is what it means to be Saved. What do you think? Do you agree, disagree? Thoughts, questions, concerns? Objections?

2 comments:

  1. If Jesus christ appeared before you asking what to do, what would you say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Heart tells me that power lies within the loving heart. When life is asking of help. then the givers of help will receive 10X power in heaven. This earth is a test of faith and learning. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete