Thursday, October 24, 2013

Or Die Trying

I don't fear failure; I fear succeeding at something that doesn't matter. -Author Unknown (Because I haven't found the proper citations)

This is, I think, quite sums up something that humans have gotten quite good at: The pursuit of irrelevant goals.

Such as:

-What do body builders do when they have their muscles?

-What do Stamp Collectors do when they have all the stamps? Or want to mail something?

-What does the person do with his life once he has watched every episode of every tv series ever (Note: There are too many so this isn't possible).

-What does the athlete do with his brass-knuckle  of a jewel-encrusted rings. I mean, have you seen how expensive they can be? You could by a car or even a cheap house with one of those. Check out the link about Super Bowl Bling from the Weather channel. Because the Weather channel had an article about Super Bowl rings. What do they do with all of their athletic achievements when their knees need replaced at age 40 and they get Alzheimer at age 50.

Do our votes really matter? Especially in this so-called "two-party" system?

Then check out these stats on climbing Mount Everest:

http://sometimes-interesting.com/2011/06/29/over-200-dead-bodies-on-mount-everest/

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2013/01/07/everest-2013-how-much-does-it-cost-to-climb-everest/

Now, personal accomplishments can be good, but it's just that so many of them are either pointless or don't benefit anyone. At all.

But is it really worth your life to be on top of a mountain? For some it is, but let me ask it another way.

Is it worth a life to climb a mountain and if so, is that person's priorities and perspective's in proper order?

Is it good enough to string together a list of accomplishments that don't mean anything?

Yes, I realize that I'm suggesting that entire chunks of human population have wasted most, if not all, of their lives pursuing things that don't matter. And I mean to.

There are people so devoted to a cause that they would rather die than fail. And then there are people who have no idea as to how to prioritize their life.

It's truly admirable to see someone so devoted to something. It's even better when that something actually matters. It's actually painful to watch someone strive to accomplish something that really doesn't amount to anything meaningful. How many of the classic sci-fi movies have a scientist create some horrific monster to only after the disaster, wonder if he should have been doing that in the first place?

I would rather my life's work be meaningful. To be something that actually makes a positive difference in someone's life. Sometimes I feel like I've done that. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing the Lord's work. Sometimes I feel like I've attempted to do the Lord's work only to make something akin to a crayon drawing a kid makes for his parents to put on the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment