Monday, April 4, 2011

Adventures in Beer Tasting: A Review

Recently, I had the pleasure of tasting six "new" beers. New in the sense that I had previously never had any of them. Now, this review comes a bit "after the fact", but I will strive to be both coherent and edifying.

The six are as follows:

1: Great Divide Brewing Co's Hades: This is a Belgian-Style Ale that I found consistent with other Belgian-Styles. I believe I mostly liked it due to the fact that I happen to like Belgian-Styles, but it was good and I would have it again if I had the chance. On the bottle was a food pairing suggestion of; fresh mussels, crusty bread and artisan cheese - which sounded pretty good, if I had any available.

2: Tommyknocker Brewery's Maple Brown Nut Ale: This Ale had the flavor of maple syrup and made me miss fall a bit. I would drink it again if given the chance and my own suggested food pairings would be pancakes, nuff said.

3: Brewery Ommegang's Hennepin: It, too, is a Belgian-Style and while given a choice between this and the former, I might prefer the Hades (Never thought I would prefer "Hades" between two options). However, this Belgian also had a good taste to it (and I would think the best pairing option would be to drink this with an attractive Belgian ;)

4: Buffalo Bill's Brewery's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout: I like blueberries. I like Stouts. This was the perfect combination of both. Food Paring: Blueberry Pancakes (Yes, I like pancakes :)

5: Left Hand Brewing Co's 400 Pound Monkey: An English-Style IPA. Although I'm not a fan of IPA's, I did find this one to be rather tasty.

6: Indigo Imp Brewery's Gate Keeper: This Porter (that I happen to be drinking as I began this writing :) has a robust taste to it with hints of caramel. I would consider it again should I have the chance.

So there it is, a bit amateur-ish I'll admit, but I'm one of those oddballs that only started drinking at 21. Therefore my repertoire isn't as knowledgeable as some others.

No comments:

Post a Comment